6.26.2012

Salad Night!

Salad night...boring, right?  I have a "go-to" salad base that consists of lettuce, dried cranberries, goat cheese, and some sort of nut.  I exchange proteins as needed.  As I mentioned in the last post, I got a TON of Romaine lettuce in our CSA, I knew I would have to have a salad night.  I also had some beets from our CSA that I decided to make into chips, because let's face it, who doesn't like something crispy and crunchy in their salad?!?  Salad night doesn't have to be boring!  Keep reading for my little creation! 


Shrimp Salad with Beet Chips
- 4-6 cups of Romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 10-12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1/4 cup of your nut of choice (I used Emeralds Pecan Pie for a little extra sweetness)
- dressing of your choice (I used champagne vinaigrette)
- 1 clove of garlic




-2 beets
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp salt

Beet chips: I just got a mandolin for my birthday from my mom and dad, so I was pumped to use it for the beet chips.  If you don't have a mandolin, just slice them as thinly as possible. 


Preheat oven to 350.  Peel the beets and cut off the ends.
Be prepared to have red hands :)


Slice beets between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch thin.  Toss with the olive oil and salt and line in a single layer on a rimmed sheet pan. 


Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the beets start to turn lighter in color.  Lay them on a wire rack to cool for a few minutes.  They will crisp upon cooling.
For the Salad:
 Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a pan on medium heat.  Add one clove or garlic, minced.  Add the shrimp and cook on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side until pink.  Set aside.

Toss the lettuce, cranberries, crumbled goat cheese, and pecans together.  Add shrimp and beet chips on top with dressing, and enjoy!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment